The Center for Statistical Consulting has been established to assists affiliates of UC Irvine and the surrounding community to conduct and communicate research of the highest possible quality. The primary activities of The Center include the following activities:
- statistical design for new studies
- statistical analysis of data and consultation
- assistance with grant, abstract, manuscript and presentation preparation
The Center has been involved in data analyses in a variety of projects, including the analysis of medical surveys, experiments with animal models, analysis of hospital rating systems, and clinical trials for the assessment of new treatments and treatment mechanisms. This document describes standard operating procedures for statistical consulting and for recharge policies. For information regarding administration of recharge fee, contact Rosemary Busta, Administrator for Department of Statistics,firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Center provides assistance with grant preparation by developing and writing an integrated statistical analysis plan for the specific aims of the research. A recharge will be made for these services and standard hourly rates will apply. The following policies and guidelines will apply:
- the submitted grant budgets should include the following for future statistical services: (1) percent effort for one or more named statisticians from the Center, or (2) a budget allocation for statistical service to be paid on the basis of recharge.
- the statistician will be given adequate time to work on the submission prior to its due date and will be involved in all aspects of study development, including, but not limited to, study design, determining measures and outcomes, sample size calculations and data analysis.
- the statistician will review the final grant application prior to submission to ensure consistency in the design, analysis and sample size consideration sections as well as ensuring that reasonable funds for statistical support are allocated in the event of funding.
We believe these policies and guidelines are essential to secure the quality and ensure the means for successful long-term collaborations. The provision of assistance will depend upon the current workload of the Center as determined by the Director and its faculty. The Center can assist with budgeting for the appropriate form and level of statistical support.
Data analysis and abstract, manuscript, and presentation preparation
The Center provides assistance with data analysis and preparation of abstracts, manuscripts, and presentations. A recharge will be made for these services and standard hourly rates will apply. In the event that the work involves a funded award for which the statistician received a percent effort, these funds will replace the hourly recharge. The following policies and guidelines will apply:
- the statistician performing the analysis will be a co-author on the publication to acknowledge the intellectual contribution to the work.
- statistician co-authors will use their primary appointment affiliation on manuscripts and abstracts.
- co-authorship is not considered as compensation.
- the statistician will be given adequate time to review any abstract or publication prior to submission and resubmission in order to ensure study and statistical integrity.
We look forward to working with you.